Twist and Shout

Twist and Shout
Life is never straight (Joey Kulkin photo)

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Trentonian TV Production Notes: Tyrone Miller Show Episode 9


TRENTON -- I think I've figured out your caper, Chrome. Don't think you've pulled the wool over my eyes. I know the score, buddy-boy: Your sweet tooth is as big as mine, and you're only using Trentonian TV to satisfy your cupcake jones. Inviting this cupcake maker, and that cupcake maker to feed the beast in your belly. Sneaky bastard. ... Cupcake Jones. That's a good name for a sultry character in the next Tarantino flick. OK, I went off on a tangent there. But I blame that on the sugar rush brought on by eating 3 of Shatan Thompson's cupcakes that are as delicious as cupcakes get.

Shatan was the last guest on Episode 9 of Tyrone's show. She and her assistant brought 3 dozen cupcakes. Some were banana pudding, others orange creme, a few cherry lemonade (topped with a Lemonhead) and a handful of coconut creme. Watch out, Chef Shawn Renee, you have competition when it comes to cupcakes. Shatan may not get her cupcakes drunk on Ciroc like you do, Shawn Renee, but I don't think I've eaten a tastier banana pudding cupcake than the one I scarfed in 3 bites. I gave another cupcake to L.A. Parker, and he loved it. Editor Mike Topel is about to eat one of your masterpieces. You've got fans.

Lightbulb moment! Episode 15 of the Tyrone Miller Show is going to be a Cupcake Battle Royale between Shawn Renee and Shatan Thompson. Unless we get a few more cupcake chefs in the competition. So if you make killer cupcakes, email jkulkin@trentonian.com. But it's fair to say that Shawn Renee and Shatan are the early favorites.

"Water bath" was the funny term of the day, and Tyrone made us all laugh when he heard it.

Also on today's episode were Trenton entrepreneurs Myrtha Jasmin, who sells cool-colored cosmetics under the tag Lips by Nadege, and fun/funky/functional earring maker Twanna Robinson of Twanna's Creations. They brought their impressive wares. Watch the show for their contact information. Go buy their products -- support local business.

From a production point of view, it took Myrtha a few seconds to realize I wanted her to speak up, which is why she looks startled about 15 seconds into the interview. Everything else was pretty smooth. Except for my photos. They're not good. I struggled with the trigger finger today. No mojo. My hands are starting to shake more and more.


Tyrone's and Myrtha's shoes and sandals


Tyrone and Myrtha in her hot-pink Minaj'ian lipstick


Tyrone showing a pair of Twanna's blue-leaf earrings. Talk about Minaj'ian


Tyrone's and Shatan's shoes


3 smart businesswomen, and Tyrone


Tyrone droolin' over Shatan's cupcakes


Mmmm, cupcakes


Some of the best cupakes in Greater Trenton


And here is the 18-minute episode chock-full of goodness:



7 comments:

  1. I want some cup cakes!!!!!!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got 2 at my desk. If you come by The Trentonian I'll share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEST CUPCAKES EVER......YOU'LL FIND THEM AT COLUMBUS CUPCAKERY ON COLUMBUS ROAD IN COLUMBUS NJ!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too far for me to drive. Bring some to Kulk to let him taste-test them. The more chocolate the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EVER BEEN TO COLUMBUS FARMERS MARKET??? WELL ITS NEAR THERE IN THE TOWN OF COLUMBUS ON 543/COLUMBUS RD......THESE BAKERS ARE HEADED TO "CUPCAKE WARS" THE REAL THING!!!

      Delete