Twist and Shout

Twist and Shout
Life is never straight (Joey Kulkin photo)

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Trentonian TV Production Notes: Makin' Moves with Phil Jackson (Episode 2)


TRENTON -- That's one of the greatest waffles ever eaten. By me. On Thanksgiving Night. At Pat's Diner. Yep, that was my Thanksgiving dessert. Don't judge.

Why is that picture leading this set of Trentonian TV Production Notes? Well, it's the picture on my computer screen. I never want to forget the moment I was face-deep in that beautiful waffle, every canyon filled with fake butter and faker chocolate and syrup.

So again, why is that picture atop these notes? Because I was taking a picture of Dennis Micai during "Makin' Moves" with Phil Jackson and realized how lucky I am.


Who is Dennis Micai? Dennis Micai helps run the Trenton Area Soup Kitchen -- T.A.S.K. -- and the place feeds thousands of starving men and women every year. I was taking his picture on the screen as he talked to Phil, and I noticed an arc of the waffle and thought about the thousands of starving men and women who don't get to drown a Pat's Diner waffle in enough chocolate and sugar to put 3 people into a diabetic shock.

It was a strange little thought that danced in my mind as Phil and Dennis spoke about the importance of the soup kitchen.

Here are photos I shot. In keeping with today's theme, I captured more hands!










Tom Freeman has written 3 books, including this one:



Phil did a nice job engaging Dennis and Tom. Dennis is a pillar of the community for the work he does with the hungry and those trying to better their lives through TASK's G.E.D. program. Thank goodness Trenton has its soup kitchen.

What struck me most about Tom Freeman is that picture of him in a hoodie as an act of solidarity in the Trayvon Martin tragedy. People would look at that photo of an angry-looking black dude ensconced in a hoodie and draw the kind of conclusions that lead to 17-year-olds getting shot and killed. But then you listen to the Fairleigh Dickenson University graduate speak about his art (music, screenwriting, and oh, yeah, he's penned 3 books) and immediately you're reminded of the old adage: Don't judge a book by its cover.


Speaking of which, look at the photo just above ... what a cover! That is the third book Tom wrote called "Her Little Secret" about women who get caught up in the crack/prostitution game. Are you willing to look beyond the cover with a naked woman and part of her boob showing to actually, you know, read the content? How about this: I'll buy lunch for the first person to buy that book (support the local artists!) and write a 500-word review for submission to Trentonian.com and this blog. Who's game?

Anyway, Tom Freeman is a sharp kid with immense talent. His laid-back delivery of speech also reminds me of Erick from EPMD. Kulk is all about the old-school days when rap was real. "Relax your mind, let your conscience be free and get down to the sounds of EPMD."




And then get down to the sights and sounds of Episode 2 of Makin' Moves.

Excellent show, the second quality Trentonian TV show of the day following Live with L.A. to start this Wednesday in Trenton.




Oh, by the way, I ate that waffle last Thanksgiving, about 12 hours after volunteering at TASK. I don't know if that's funny or just messed up. You decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment