Twist and Shout

Twist and Shout
Life is never straight (Joey Kulkin photo)

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Vignettes from Vermont: Snail Trail to Greenville

Heart-topped snail by Jane Greer available HERE

BENNINGTON -- Art Gallery Dude called Jane Greer this morning to ask how sturdy her glass stirrers are -- "I use them to stir my coffee. They're made of Pyrex, so they're dishwasher safe." -- and then the conversation turned toward snails. People love snails and, apparently, they're even more crazy for glass-hearted snails.

"It's funny," Greer said in a slow North Carolina twang, "because snails are a very non-unisex item. Lizards are more of a men's thing, and butterflies are for women -- but snails are just sort of neutral."

The red-heart-topped snail you see above is one of 6 available (HERE). The other colored hearts come in blue, pink, green, purple and another red.

Jane Greer was born and raised in Greenville, North Carolina. "I'm a Pirate at heart," she said in reference to East Carolina University, which is located in Greenville. "I remember when ECU was a teacher's college so I guess I'm showing my age." These days she makes her glass wares in Wilmington, on the east coast of the Tar Heel State.

"I owned a gallery and understand the trials and tribulations of owners," she said, "so I make stuff that is fun and whimsical, stuff you don't see everyday.

Greer learned how to make glass hearts years ago but needed a unique avenue to sell them. Too many other artists were putting hearts on pendents and paperweights, she said, "So I tried snails -- and it's one of my best sellers. There's a big snail market.

"I have no explanation for it, but it's crazy," she said, "I can't keep them on the shelf."

Fiddlehead at Four Corners also ordered 6 of Greer's standing fish. Here they are ...











"Because I'm on the East Coast," she said, "I love anything that has to do with tropical stuff. That's why I do a lot of fish."

Cool.

Now while conversation centered around Greer's snails and tropical fishes, AGD needed to know about the strength of Greer's colorful glass stirrers ...




... they look brittle but Greer said the thin cork-screw-tipped stirrers are Pyrex-strong. 

Greer got the idea for stirrers after a massive demand for her glass straws.

"Finding something for someone who has everything is difficult," she said, "so I thought 'What complements straws?' I introduced the stirrers last July and people are going crazy for them."

Want Greer's glass? Click HERE.


And for any other Pirates at heart out there ...



No comments:

Post a Comment