Twist and Shout

Twist and Shout
Life is never straight (Joey Kulkin photo)

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Vignettes from Vermont: Lips


BENNINGTON -- I woke up at 3 in the a.m. and noticed that my bottom-right lip had turned into a mountain, which is something to behold because my lips are big and fat as it is.

What happened is I bit the inside of my lip eating a sandwich too fast yesterday and drew a little blood. This happens often. I must have infected it somehow yesterday, and by 3 in the morning it was a big, fat mess of a lip. 


It didn't help that a zit is forming on the outer part of the lip, to the right of the soul patch, so Mount St. Lip could be full of pus, too. Ahhh, if only Halloween was today ... .

I fought back wisely after a friend suggested that correcting the problem on my own with a nail-clipper and Swiss Army Knife could cause a few problems. He might be right. 


So, since 9 this morning I've been swishing warm salt water and Listerine. It seems to be working, and Mount St. Lip is shrinking to its original level of plump. 

The zit, however, keeps forming.

I bring up Joey Big Lip because an hour ago I sold the mug you see above. What's the link?

The man said that for years he searched for the perfect mug, and lo and behold he found it today, here, at Fiddlehead at Four Corners art gallery in downtown Bennington. It's perfect, he said, because he likes the bulbous bottom and loves the small mouth and rounded lip.

Of course.

So while I'm knee-deep in the fight against self-imposed Fat Lip Syndrome, a Williamstowner's mug hunt ends because he found one with just the perfect thin lip.

Fiddlehead has 2 more of the thin-lipped, bulbous-bottomed mug, and other really cool starry-night pottery by Steve Williams, at www.getartbehappy.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment