Twist and Shout

Twist and Shout
Life is never straight (Joey Kulkin photo)

Monday, June 30, 2014

At least the enchiladas were good

Rio Blanco rails (Joey Kulkin photo)

BENNINGTON -- Went out to eat. Shorts and T-shirt, hair undone, completely unpresentable. Sat by myself at the bar at Chili's. Watched Algeria v. Deutschland, start of the second half, and drank iced tea and sat there alone but for me myself and I.

Been doing this for a long time so what's one more night?

Two couples sat just beyond the other side of the bar in attaching booths. Smiles and good vibes in both. Hands touching. I don't even remember the last time I held a girl's hands, or sat in the same booth and shared dinner and each other's presence.

Plowed through chips and salsa; Chili's has improved their nacho chips: not much aftertaste though they're paper-thin and break too easily in the salsa. Plowed through the spicy chicken 'n' tortilla soup. Slaughtered the new sour cream and chicken enchiladas. Watched Algeria and Deutschland struggle on the field -- oops, I mean pitch.

Can't talk the soccer these days without calling it pitch. But I'm stubborn that way.

Probably why I sit by myself at the Chili's bar instead of in a booth full of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment