Twist and Shout

Twist and Shout
Life is never straight (Joey Kulkin photo)

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Vignettes from Vermont: AC/DC. Honest Tea. 3 Dollars and Me.


BENNINGTON -- He sat on the wooden edge of a flower bed. He wore a black AC/DC shirt and looked like he needed another 40. He asked me if I had 3 dollars. I said no but told him I would give him my unopened bottle of orange/mango Honest Tea. He looked at me with a look of WTF?! I called his look of WTF?! with my own look of WTF?! But I still handed him the bottle. He took it with his right hand. I told him I wanted a picture of him with the bottle of cold juice that I bought at Nova Mae Cafe during lunch minutes earlier. Decided to bring it back to the art gallery. I took his photo with the healthiest fluid this man will have drunk in weeks no doubt and then continued walking down Main Street toward the art gallery. I got to the corner and realized I had 3 dollars in my pocket and turned around and walked to the man. "I forgot that I *did* have 3 dollars in my pocket." I gave him 3 dollar bills. I told him I wanted to take another picture but that this time he had to smile. He tried to smile. But this man is pretty sad. Lonely. He moved his mouth best he could to form a smile but there would not have been a smile even if he smiled. Click.



2 comments:

  1. All things considered you do have a good heart... what's a 40?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 40-ounce bottle -- malt liquor or regular ol' beer.

    ReplyDelete