Twist and Shout

Twist and Shout
Life is never straight (Joey Kulkin photo)

Friday, July 13, 2012

Vignettes from Vermont: 2 Women, 4 Bucks


BENNINGTON -- The last time a woman asked for money, I told Wendy I'd give her 2 bucks if she gave me a photo-op. Wendy is the woman above. I saw her sitting on a porch in front of a boarded-up dwelling on Dye Street in South Trenton. She gave me a photo-op. I gave her 2 bucks. Then she gave me a can of pears and a new bottle of hand sanitizer.

Today in Bennington, I was walking back from Friendly's and saw the shiny, silver bell from the U.S.S. Bennington. I went to take its picture then saw Mary 15 feet away 0n a bench smoking a cigarette. I walked up to her, and she said she had no bread and asked for help. I asked her for a photo-op. She gave me a smile. I gave her a $2 bill. Hope she bought bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment