Twist and Shout

Twist and Shout
Life is never straight (Joey Kulkin photo)

Friday, October 4, 2013

Ashley Kennison: Miss Vermont Teen USA! (at least she hopes to wear the crown but she needs your help)

Ashley Kennison of Bennington
in the Graffiti Vault at Fiddlehead at Four Corners
(Joey Kulkin photo)

BENNINGTON -- Ashley Kennison is young and pretty and, like most teenagers, bubbles with life. Outward appearances can be deceiving.

The Bennington 17-year-old has spent several years trying to repair her self-esteem because of bullying, which is why, if you click on the picture above, you can read the words within the peace sign. She drew it with chalk a few weeks ago in the Graffiti Vault at Fiddlehead at Four Corners art gallery in downtown Bennington.

The top leg says STOP. The left leg says THE. The right leg says BULLYING.

Ashley hopes to speak out against bullying at the Miss Vermont Teen USA pageant -- if she can raise the rest of the $550 she needs to become a contestant. She has 10 more days.

After donating $20 to her cause, Fiddlehead's manager asked Ashley to write a bio so he could promote it to other Bennington's businesses that might want to contribute, too.

This is Ashley Kennison:

~I love editing & taking photographs. Mainly of: my family, myself, the wilderness & my pets.

~I love playing Black Ops. The only video game that interest me!

~I love drawing & making different styles of lettering.

~I most enjoy spending time with my family.

~I have 2 black cats, 2 guinea pigs; 1 is black & white, the other is light brown, 2 turtles; The larger one is a Red Ear Slider, the baby one is a Painter, 2 geckos; 1 is a blizzard gecko, the other is a leopard gecko, & 1 female (red) beta fish.

~I am most obsessed with cleaning & organizing. My opinion is; life is so much less stressful if you know where everything is!

~My kind of fun vacation is going to the beach with my family... Swimming, tanning, playing in the sand, walking through the shallow water & exploring the boardwalk.

~My career ambition is to counsel/educate people with emotional disorders. Specializing in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

~Things I usually do on my free time are: Clean, hang out with my family, browse through Facebook, go outside, walk or draw.

~One thing I believe needs to stop is all the bullying & harassing that goes on in this would. I just really would like to know why people do it. Why make someone feel so horrible about themselves to the point where they take their own life? Or do something harmful to their body? It disgust me!

These businesses and individuals donated to Ashley's cause: Gamer's Grotto, Prouty's Service Station, Prouty's Chain Saw, Razatat, Fiddlehead at Four Corners, Gardner's Citgo, Panache, LaFlammes Furniture, E.W. Webb, Tropical Raze, C.R.J., Apollo Fuel, Tom Prouty, Matt and Bill from C.R.J. and Wave.

To contribute, go to Ashley's Facebook page here.


Joey Kulkin photo

No comments:

Post a Comment